[crossfire] Attributes/Stats

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun May 16 02:45:46 CDT 2010

>   AD&Dv3 fixed a some of that by adding a bunch of minor skills, which get
> base bonus from those stats.  So a low int means few skill points, and any
> int based skills have a penalty.  Wis is used for some saving throws, so
> penalty there is bad.  Cha is really only used for some skills.
>
>   That doesn't quite work in crossfire, but one thought I had is to give
> fighters some abilities (really just like spells) that need grace/sp.
>
>   This goes with giving special abilities at certain levels for skills.
> But imagine that for fighters, at 5th level of swordmanship, they get
> something like 'holy weapon', which gives them a holy attacktype + slaying
> of their gods enemy. However, to use that ability needs 25 grace.

Yes, skills that improve the attack or defense in some way, and use up spell
points, or grace points.

Note that grace could probably be changed a lot. Right now it's really easy to
gain your points back, just praying - which you can do any time.
It could be interesting to change praying and meditation to require you to for
instance not have been hit for 10s - arguably, if you're in the middle of a
battle, you're in no condition to concentrate!

>   A character with average stats (no penalties, no bonuses) would have 25
> grace, and perhaps a bit more.  But if a character had put 1 in wis and
> pow, his grace is probably going to be <5, so won't be able to use that
> nice ability.
>
>   Could also have things like 'flaming sword' which use mana instead.

Yes, or spell points for each hit, things like that.
Or hp improving spells - drain 2sp per second to get a 10% hp raise.

>   I'm not sure how to do that, but certain other skills could be affected.
> For example, I believe it is either Wis or Int which changes odds for
> finding traps for search.  The problem right now is that you just search
> the door/chest 10 times, and just by random rolls, if you have a chance of
> finding the trap, you probably will.  But would be better to somehow limit
> that, so if you have a bad Int, you won't find the trap and you can't
> search 10 times until you do.

Sounds ok.

>   Another thought is to add stat requirements to use items.
> For example, you need a 10 pow to use a wand or rod.
> You need a 15 pow to use a scroll

Yes.
Or there could be a penalty for using a 15 pow scroll with only 5, reduced
damage, chance of backfire, and such.

>   So once again, not a requirement for fighters to have a 10 pow, but not
> being able to use wands at all could be pretty annoying.
>
> Conversely, one could add strength requirements for certain items, eg, need
> strength 25 to wield boncrusher, strength 15 to wear plate armor, etc.

That definitely makes sense.

>   I know there has been talk in the past about reputation/fame type of
> idea. That could also play in with Cha - it acts as a modifier to that.
> If you are moderately famous but still annoying (low Cha), folks still
> don't want to talk to you.

Yes.

>   The shop pricing is a bit harsh - that should probably be smoothed out -
> maybe at worst, you pay triple the best price you can ever get.  And maybe
> it should really only affect selling of items, and not buying - after all,
> little enough stuff is bought from shops, the shopkeepers should be happy
> to find one that actually wants to buy something.

Agreed for price fixing.

>   There should probably be some skill to get certain NPC's to do something
> for you (for example, convince the gatehouse guards to open the gate for
> you, even if you don't know the password).  Things like that would require
> map changes, but if done consistently and often enough, could make a high
> charisma useful.

Since there's work on questification, that's the right time to look and change
those maps :)

>   The counter to that could be that with a really bad charisma, the guards
> won't open the gates even if you do know the password, and only way
> through is with the gatepass.

Good idea :)

Nicolas
--