[crossfire] races

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat May 29 04:11:50 CDT 2010

>   My problem right now isn't as much combos that are hard to play, but
> races in which any choice of class is hard to play (aka unplayable races).

Then let's have those races with a big "not checked for balance!" warning :)

>   If a troll tries to play a mage, he is in bad shape.  While putting
> warnings up might be nice, I'm not sure of a good mechanic to do that.
> Perhaps in those cases, just having the class description make it clear,
> something like 'Power is a key attribute for wizards, and any starting
> wizard should have at least a 20 power' or the like.  So when the player
> chooses a troll and sees a -4 pow penalty (or whatever it is), maybe
> realizes that isn't a good choice.

Manually put warnings in the race description, and when you select a class -
since you already know the race.

I think the character creation logic will be changed, correct?
So if one can select at the same time race and class, just put a big warning
when the race is not balanced, or when the class isn't adapted at all to the
race.

>   Another possibility I just thought of is going back to old AD&D, which is
> minimum stat requirements.  So maybe a wizard has a 15 pow and 15 int
> requirement.  If you don't meet those, you just can't play that class until
> the stats are increased.

Could be done, yes, and would solve some issues.

>   But some danger can be a race/class combination that is too powerful.
> Balance is an overall achievement - that all classes & races are basically
> on-par with each other.
>
>   So while having lots of races is likely to lead to some cases of the race
> not being very powerful, and thus hard to play, you may get other cases
> where the race is too powerful, and too easy to play.
>
>   But balance can be hard to achieve in many areas.  One might say 'this
> spell is just to powerful - that is why that class is too good', but
> tuning down that spell affects every class that uses it, as well as items,
> so may have more consequences than intended.  This is one reason why
> balance is so hard.

So what?
If the combo is too powerful, people who use it obviously don't want a
challenge, and they like the game like it is, so that's good :)
Others who like challengs will just use another combo.

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org