[crossfire] Crossfire release?

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Nov 20 03:04:10 CST 2010

Hello.

>   Been a little more than 6 months since last official release, and I was
> thinking that trying to get one out before end of the year might be nice.
>
>   Thoughts/comments?
>
>   Any list of bugs or other things that must be fixed before a release is
> made?

Things to fix for the next release:

- ensure all clients versions are either disconnected with a "client too old"
message or able to create account or at least characters on latest server

- have an official Windows client ; if GTK should be it, actually build and
package it (last tests I made showed issues with Glade library)

- remove metaserver1 support from clients, so players don't go to old obsolete
servers

Things to fix someday:

- add more quests, link maps or stories ; this would give players some hints
on what to do or point to maps they don't know

- make enough quests to nicely level in various skills (eg suite of alchemy-
related quests enabling the player to learn recipes and level up)

- many more compound graphics - create a Fenx character, and use singing,
fight, cast magic, do the same for other races and classes

- fix many broken monsters (hint: ac <-70 will make the monster almost
invulnerable in melee), balance exp/sp/hp/gr and such

- fix various Python guild bugs and issues

- fix item_power ; some items are more powerful than others with less
item_power (eg some rings, I think) ; also item_power is almost useless once
you reach level 50, so spread the scale more

In a dreamworld:

- better unique map or unique spots modification handling (merge changes to
initial map with the saved map) ; makes it easier to change guilds

- handle many more errors ; flat out refuse to open maps containing some
invalid item

- enable people to use the arch directory from svn without collecting process,
or just put their .arc or .png files in a correct directory for it to be used

- enable archetypes, treasures, formulae, etc. reloading while server is
running

- limited threading for map or player loading and saving, to not lock the
server with big maps ; or progressive loading/saving, whichever

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org