[crossfire] heads up: advanced character creation commit

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Mon Oct 18 02:08:39 CDT 2010

  In the next few days, I'll be committing changes for advanced character
creation - that has been discussed, but in short summary, it lets player adjust
stat points and choose race & class and switch between them before finalizing
selection.

  It also allows them to select their starting map.

  These changes are to both server and arch area - if you are running a server,
you will need to update *both* of them for things to work right.

  The simple reason behind this is that I added some new archetypes of type
'MAP', but there are different subtypes for that (to note if this is the 'old'
starting map, choice of starting maps, etc).

  If you update the arch without updating the server, things may work, but this
is relying on load/search order of the archetypes - most likely player will just
not go to the nexus, and instead be taken to one of the starting maps.

  If you update the server without updating the archetypes, it just won't work -
server should generate an error message and abort out.  This could be bad if you
are running an automated updated/restart script, as it will just cycle.