[crossfire] coinage

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Oct 24 00:33:01 CDT 2010

  So I will admit that it has been a little while since I last actually played
crossfire, and so when I fired it up, went to a shop to buy something, I was a
little mystified when it said:

It would cost you 1 jade coin, 27 platinum coins, 4 gold coins and 9 silver coins.

  Not that it breaks it up, but rather being somewhat unsure how much that item
really costs - how much gold do I really need to buy it?  How many jade coins in
a gold coin, etc.

  I could imagine this is also confusing for new players - while one will come
across platinum coins in fairly short order, jade coins are not going to show up
very quickly (if selling stuff to shops, you will only get them if what you are
selling is greater than that amount).  The bank does not have a money changer
for jade coins.

  I had advocated in the distance past the coinage ceases to be an object type
and basically becomes a stat like ability - this makes it easier for the server
to communicate how much money the player has, and also simplifies a lot of code
(all code that deals with updating coinage becomes much simpler) - that said,
there would be some complications, like depositing money on objects that want
coinage, but that could be handled (at least it would remove the need of having
money changers in odd locations to cover that case)

  I'm not sure the ideal solution - having that price say 127 platinum, 4 gold,
... might be better, or 639 gold 9 silver might be better yet.  I suppose a
clever solution might be to look at the player and see the largest currency they
have in their inventory and use that - if I only have gold coins, say 639 gold,
9 silver.  If I only have silver, say 6399 silver coins.

  Alternatively, maybe only list the higher coins if it really high - eg, if
more than 1000 units, go up, so if something is 1250 gold, it would be listed as
1250 gold, and not 250 platinum or 2 jade, 5 platinum.

  If one things about it, when one goes to the store, they don't say "that will
be a 5 dollar bill, 2 1 dollar bills, 3 quarters, a dime, and 4 pennies", they
just say it will be 7 dollars 89 cents.