[crossfire] coinage

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun Oct 24 23:23:52 CDT 2010

On 10/24/10 12:35 AM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
>>    Not that it breaks it up, but rather being somewhat unsure how much that
>> item really costs - how much gold do I really need to buy it?  How many
>> jade coins in a gold coin, etc.
>

> For what is worth, the change that introduced those coins in price display is
> revision 13983 by yours truly.
>
> http://crossfire.svn.sourceforge.net/crossfire/?rev=13983&view=rev

  I was hoping to start some discussion on what people think the best behavior
would be.

  If folks think that giving quotes in high priced coins is fine, I can live
with that.

  I guess I would also consider it odd that while shops will quote prices in
amber and jade, they won't hand them out - I'd consider that better - if I sell
something that would get me jade coins, it would seem to make sense that I get
paid in that.

  I wonder if there could be a change, like it says something along the lines of:

It would cost you 1 jade coin, 27 platinum coins, 4 gold coins and 9 silver
coins or 639.9 gold coins

  (I'm making the presumption that crossfire is on the gold coin standard :) -
that gives both, but makes it much simpler to figure out how much money I really
need.

  I'm still in favor of making net worth just a stat, but that would involve a
bit more work, but as said before, also simplify a lot of code.  The only real
disadvantage I can think would be that weight of coins would no longer be an issue.