[crossfire] Map access

Kevin Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Sat Sep 4 09:06:52 CDT 2010

> With the new quest system, some maps are now only available if the player is
> doing the correct quest. Such maps will also be available only once.

Are you sure?  I think that quests are restartable?  But maybe not.  Perhaps
only certain quests are restartable.

> For instance, the animator's quest in Scorn, or the Titan quest.
>
> I admit I'm not that glad of those restrictions. One should probably be able
> to enter any map (unless some restrictions to enter are really mandatory), but
> maps like titan quest are good places to find monsters.
>
> What are your opinions?

Well, I'm not sure, but perhaps a compromise is to make sure the quests are
restartable some relatively small number of times, or, say restartable after
some length of time, or some other creative and reasonable parameter.  I tend
to think that Crossfire will be a better game with some limitations on playing
the same maps over and over and over again.

Now I don't play a lot, so my play times are often spanned by large amounts of
time and I like to be able to replay maps that I have not done in a long time
just to re-enjoy them without necessarily trying to abuse the map.  In this
way I guess I agree.  I would really like to be able to revisit maps at least
a little bit.

I still think that somehow map abuse should probably be nerfed.  Like tracking
frequency of use and somehow downgrading earned experience, but then I don't
know... maybe that is a map problem rather than a game mechanics problem.

Kevin