[crossfire] CRE changes, and questions

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Sep 4 14:18:59 CDT 2010

Hello.

I'm modifying CRE to load resources (archetypes, treasures, faces and such)
from the individual files, instead of the collected ones.

This will, ultimately, enable edition of said files (treasures, animations, all
I can think of or what people ask for).

I do not use the Crossfire structures, but C++ classes (easier to use with Qt
stuff).

Now, since CRE currently uses the Crossfire common library, I load two times
many things, one with my split-file loading, and one with the common library.

The library is required to load maps to generate information on archetype use,
show exits between maps, things like that.

This isn't a great situation :)

I see three options:

a) leave it that way, use library for map loading and individual files for the
edition

b) remove the map browsing feature, and the common dependancy altogether

c) rewrite the map loading code to adjust to my classes, and remove the common
dependancy

I voluntarily leave out solutions d) change server to use file-based loading (I
won't do that in pure C), and e) move server to C++/Qt (I'm not fire-proof :)).

I admit solution a) doesn't suit me much. The 'common' library dependancy
makes CRE hard to build under Windows, so I'd rather move to a pure C++/Qt
program (this would also enable moving CRE to its own top-level directory,
maybe).

On the other hand, b) isn't that great either, because use information is
useful I think.

Any opinion on that?

Nicolas
--