[crossfire] sound2 protocol and issues: sound_chance

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Sat Sep 25 20:35:02 CDT 2010

At the time sound2 was implemented, a  sound_chance property was set up.
No arches were modified.   This effectively disables all sound support.  By
SVN records, sound has been disabled for about 2.75 years because of
sound2 implementation of sound_chance.

What purpose can sound_chance even be put to in such quantity that it makes
such sweeping arch changes reasonable?  If an item/action produces sound, it
is very difficult to conceive of a logical reason for.  I.e.  Explode this bomb
and 9 out of 10 times the massive, concussive blast produces no sound for
absolutely no obvious reason.  I suppose a door could randomly squeak, but
even then, silence vs. squeak seems less than ideal  It would be better to
have an alternate sound instead of silence.

I think that sound_chance should be dispensed with, however, it would be
possible to return the server to functionality without massive arch changes by
simply changing the sound_chance 0 to be equivalent to sound_chance 100 at
the point where the check is made before the sound is played, perhaps on
grounds that a sound-making device probably will rarely need to not make a
noise.

Kevin