[crossfire] sound2 protocol and issues: arbitrary volume

Kevin R. Bulgrien kbulgrien at att.net
Sat Sep 25 20:50:54 CDT 2010

server/trunk/doc/Developers/sound describes the sound2 protocol and a volume
component to the sound protocol.  It indicates that the server arbitrarily
sets volume "for variability".

This seems to be a questionable server-side function.  I do not really think
it fits well with a client/server paradigm for the server to dictate things
like that.  While I can see a map or a arch setting volume for some specific
purpose, it seems that something like randomizing of volume is better
implemented on a client side according to the desires of the player rather
than on the whim of the server.  Then there is the question of how random
the server does it.  I see no real benefit in random 0-100% at all as that
basically silences the sound if you are running the game quiet to not
disturb others.

Frankly, I'd prefer to ignore server volume instructions altogether than
support randomized volume unless it is implemented in a way that limits
the "variability" to a reasonably small range... but the assertion is still
made that this is a client function rather than a server function.

Kevin