[crossfire] sound2 protocol and issues: sound_chance

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Sep 29 11:32:36 CDT 2010

> The problem is that the sounds already defined were disabled by the change,
> so it is not a matter of simply not implementing things incrementally.
> All that used to work no longer does..

I don't remember disabling previous sound support, but maybe I indeed did,
considering not many people used it...

> It also seems somewhat counter-intuitive to require adding something to an
> arch for a feature that should be the default behavior.
>
> Perhaps an alternative is to add a property that must be present for the
> new feature to be used.  I think that it is not that great to have to go in
> and find all possible items that should emit sounds and modify them.  It is
> almost inevitable that items will be missed.  Basically, I want to get rid
> of the patch I have to have to play sounds because it means all public
> servers don't work for sound, and a small simple change seems better than
> a lot of arch and/or map changes.

Actually, you don't need to add anything to archetypes.

To have a sound, have the client use setup sound2, then when you get messages
with "sound2 (params) action name", find the file "action_name.ogg", play it.

The idea was to just send free-form strings, to enable clients to "override"
sounds.

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org