[crossfire] [Crossfire-cvs] SF.net SVN: crossfire:[13885] server/trunk/doc/Developers/protocol

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Sep 29 11:36:30 CDT 2010

>   I think that was one reason I was more in favor of symbolic names
> (dangerous_song, port_area) - it seems in many cases the client may do some
> amount of remapping for what songs it has.
>
>   OTOH, using file names does not preclude that - it can just make it
> harder if one adds a new file name - if the file name is really arbitrary,
> the client would really have no idea - but perhaps more to the point, a
> person would have to listen to that new file to try to figure out what the
> song is.
>
>   So even if it is file names, I would suggest that the names be
> descriptive of what the sound is/its intended effects, and not something
> like 'mwedel_5' to denote it is the 5th song I've done.

Fine by me to have descriptive names.

Note that in the current "sound2" implementation, the client will get an
action name and an item name. The action name is/was supposed to be a
directory, to split/sort files. But client can use it as it want :)

>   Currently, the server has nothing to do with the sound files either - for
> the sound effects, it sends a number of the intended effect - for the
> songs, it just sends the song name, but has no idea if that name is valid.

In sound2, server sends action and item name, the client having responsibility
to figure the right file name.

>   I don't see adding download support for sounds to the server - a lot of
> bandwidth there.  I would see that possibility of the server telling the
> client where it could download the songs via some well known protocol
> (ftp, http), and if the server has added custom songs, that location
> should point to a location that includes those custom songs.

Well, I'd see a "standard sound pack" distributed with the client.
Then people could manually download other packs or replace sounds for custom
needs.
Of course, ideally ftp/http support would be nice (maybe the server could send
that url to the client), so diffent servers could have different sounds.
Like face, except for sounds :)

>   As far as different clients playing different songs - even with using
> filenames, that could still happen (although, probably pretty unlikely for
> a client maintainer to get rid of a song/replace it, given limited number
> of songs in the first place).  But even with that sound, IIRC, the music
> command is sent when a player enters a map - so it is almost a sure thing
> that while 2 different players are hearing the same song, it would be out
> of phase with respect to each other - thus it could seem to be a different
> song.

True.

Nicolas
---