[crossfire] Graphism perspective

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun Dec 11 10:41:36 CST 2011

>   While not really clear, I always took it that the bottom (south) of the
> map is closer to the viewer.  Thus, creatures going north (away) should
> have a back view.

That seems ok to me.

>   I'm a bit old fashioned, but my vote would be the vertical access is
> vertical, not at a slant.  But I prefer the look like they are 3D, and not
> flat - as examples, the bear and ape are what I would describe as 3D
> looking, where as highangle and dave appear flat.  That may just have to
> do with the graphics themselves, but this could also extend to other
> objects.

Many buildings have a 'almost vertical' perspective, slightly up towards the
right.

So this doesn't really match a pure 'vertical' orientation...

>   It's also odd because things like town are clearly not a true top down
> perspective - if that was the case, all one would see is the roofs of the
> shops, and not the front.  So while the game is top down, the viewing
> direction clearly isn't quite like that - it is more that one is at a 30
> or 45 degree angle to the south and looking into the town, dungeon,
> whatever.

Not top-down is ok in my book, but we need to be coherent, or at least
coherent for the same things (monsters, equipment, buildings, for instance).

I'm pondering trying to make 'big' graphics, but I'd rather use the 'right'
perspective from the start :)

Regards

Nicolas
--