[crossfire] Player creation bug

Tolga Dalman tolga.dalman at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 22 03:10:59 CST 2011

(resending to the list)

On 22.02.2011 07:55, Mark Wedel wrote:

> >  I'm not quite sure if I understand the problem or not.
> >
> >  I tried to do that, and got a message saying stat to low.  That is
> > correct behavior IMO.

Why is that correct ? Having total stats with at least 1 point should
not yield an error! The attached patch removes the first (and thus
redundant) stat check.

> >  I also think this is needed for balance - if a class has a big stat
> > penalty, you need to spend some points to offset that penalty.  If one
> > does not need to spend any points to offset penalties, then the
> > penalties become a lot less meaningful (don't put any points, and the
> > fact there is a -8 penalty doesn't mean anything)
Agreed. However, this could be automated.

> >  Already there - at least they work for me.
Strange. Then this is considered a bug in the client :)

> >  And conversely, on point #4, that compounds the issue.  Eg, I select
> > troll, it updates the stats to minimum values - now I have negative stat
> > points.  So now it goes and decreases the high stats to make things
> > legal.  If I go back to human, then those stat values are really nothing
> > close to what I had put in before.
> >
> >  I'm not 100% sure what is the best way here - each one has its pros and
> > cons.  My initial implementation of that was to make it very easy to
> > experiment with different combos, which means it does allow illegal
> > values when playing around.
While it is great for a developer not to have automatic attribute
adjustments, for a user it does not make any sense.

> >  I had issues fitting the description in.  I had also thought that maybe
> > at some point, that even gets extended with an image of some sort
> > representing the map choice.
I understand. Why not add another button for detail information on the
particular choice ?

Thanke & best regards
Tolga Dalman