[crossfire] Balance ideas

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Jan 3 15:27:27 CST 2011

Hello.

> Am I right in understanding that the modifiers only change the weight of
> damage/duration/radius?  This also means that the same actual effect could
> be achieved by different weights (eg, a long strong large fireball
> (presuming large is weight 9) would be the same the default or a small
> short weak fireball?  No problem with that, just trying to make sure I
> understand it.

Depends on the defined qualifiers, but possibly, yes.

> It also seems that this doesn't necessarily change balance much in itself -
> it makes spells much more flexible, but the key for the balance on that is
> defining the right base values for things like damage, duration, radius
> and sp cost.

Yes. Though sp cost could either be fixed by level like now, or maybe a
combination of duration, power and radius (for instance it costs more to make
it stronger that to make it larger).

>   I would guess that there would still be higher level spells out there
> with higher base damages, durations, etc (eg, large fireball as we have
> now) - am I right in that, or are you thinking of reducing number of
> spells and just letting players adjust the parameters to get desired
> results?

I'm thinking of reducing the spells. Drastically.
Make 'small fireball', 'medium fireball' and 'large fireball' mere aliases to the
'fireball' spell, with different weights roughly emulating the current
behaviour.
Gaining power will be a matter of leveling, not finding a higher version of the
same spell.

> Resistances & Attacks:
> ----------------------
> I personally think that there are too many attack types right now (26) and
> that should perhaps get reduced and cleaned up (maybe around 10?)  Many
> things that are attacktypes right now are really effects (cancellation,
> depletion, blind, etc) - as such, there is no corresponding resistance to
> it or it is not used much.

Maybe, yes, that could be reduced.
Especially, the exact effects should be defined.

> Monsters and players:
> ---------------------
> That looks pretty good - one thing I might add is 'should monsters use the
> same rules for stats as players?'  Right now, the meaning of stats for
> monsters is completely different than it is for players.

I would say 'yes'.
But maybe change the scale, have players start at level 5 on 150, make
monsters from 1 to 500.

> Lots of good ideas in all of that.

Now we just have to implement them, he...

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org