[crossfire] Balance ideas

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jan 8 04:54:09 CST 2011

>   Yes - that is reasonable.  But I also wonder if there is/should be a way
> to increase potency at the expense of sp cost.
>
>   Taking that fireball example, changing the weighting would more or less
> keep the sp cost the same - but the power of the fireball itself does not
> change all that much.  But maybe there are some modifiers which increase
> the power (eg, damage, duration, range), but also drastically increase the
> sp cost - if you want to try and emulate current spell effects, your sort
> of need this.
>
>   Otherwise, just by changing weighting, you will never be able to get
> something as powerful as a large fireball currently is - but at the same
> time, the large fireball itself is higher level and costs considerably
> more sp (base 16 sp vs 6).

Which is why I mention that possibly the sp cost is a weighted combination of
the various weights, so you can make "power" more expensive that "radius", for
instance.

>   Fair enough, just see note above.
>
>   But one other thought would be is there even higher level spells, or are
> pretty much all spells going to be first level, but it is the power of the
> spell that changes?
>
>   This is just my preference, but at some level, it is nice to have things
> to try and achieve (once I get 10th level, I can cast this cool spell) -
> if number of spells is drastically reduced, I have a feeling that effect
> would also change.

So make fireball a level 1, comet a level 47, meteor storm a level 80. That's a
challenge to reach 80 to get really powerful meteor storm spell :)

Or there could be steps in increase, ie from level 1 to 10, fireball has a base
power of 3, from 11 to 20 5, and such, with some "big" steps along the way.

Or add a "fire mastery" skill, that will increase the power or radius when you
gain it.

>   Maybe - but presumably, just as stats help out a player, under basis of
> same rules, one could adjust power of monsters by their stats.
>
>   For example, the average new character is going to have a stat average of
> 12 or so, decent armor, decent weapon, etc.  If those kobolds have a stat
> average of 4, and no armor and crappy weapon, it should still be pretty
> easy for the character to kill those kobolds.
>
>   Just like characters, level isn't everything - a level 100 character with
> no items and no spells would likely be a fairly easy target for a much
> lower character to take out.
>
>   I've also thought of the idea of changing stats so the range is much
> greater - say 1 to 100 - in some ways, it is easier for players to improve
> stats (stat potions work better) - but under such a system it may still be
> very difficult for a character to get one stat above 75, let alone 3 or 4
> stats.  But powerful monsters might very well have several stats above
> that.

Note that the whole global balance requires some heavy work on item_power.
I'd definitely see good weapons over 30, just to require a player to be high
level and not a low one.
Same would be for armors, a 1-40 item power doesn't seem too weird. This would
force players to compromise on the equipment.

Nicolas
--
Mon p'tit coin du web - http://nicolas.weeger.org