[crossfire] Face "overlays"

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon Jul 11 15:17:40 CDT 2011

Hello.

I've been thinking on how to show what equipment a player is actually using
during the gameplay.

My current idea is to add "overlays" on faces.

It would work something like that:
- base player animation doesn't show anything
- the eg "armour" overlay is displayed on top of the player, to show the
armour being worn
- for "compound" animations (eg attacking, and thus), use the same overlay, or
a specific overlay

This could also be used to add effects for long-time spells, eg a red aura for
protection from cold, and such.

Examples:
- base animation "fenx_player"
- for armour, use "overlay_armour_fenx_player" if it exists, else
"overlay_armour" for an armor with "overlay_armour" overlay specification
- if the Fenx attacks, compound animation is "fenx_player_sword", so use
"overlay_armour_fenx_player_sword" if it exists
- if the Fenx cast the "rage", add "overlay_rage_fenx_player" if it exists,
else "overlay_rage" simply

This would of course mean many potential animations... And more face
information sent to the client.

One other option I thought of is to use a "dynamic" face, in which server
tells the client "face (max_face + 2) is a combination of this, this and this
face", use this special face for the map2 command, and inform client of face
changes when the equipment changes.

This of course adds some more complicated logic.

What do you think of that?

Regards

Nicolas
--