[crossfire] Face "overlays"

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jul 16 03:45:57 CDT 2011

>   Ah - so it sounds like you are looking at one of these 2 possibilites:

<snip>

Correct :)

#2 seems nice too, but this also means there will be a need for many
"temporary" images.

Imagine the player with a basic armor, and the associated overlay. There will
be 4 (for most races) directions * 3 pictures (for most animations) so 12
composite images.

Now the player casts a spell - that's another animation, so 4*3 pictures
again.

So I'm wondering how many pictures that will imply at total...

One way would be for the server to find all "action-related" animations (so
"player_fenx_spellcasting" and friends) and for each regenerate temporary
faces for any face. That could mean 200 faces for a player. Maybe not that a
big evil deal...

Also it seems the server will need to send faces updates at almost each
equipment change. Probably not that a big deal either, but still.

For clients not having this support, the fallback would be simply to send the
regular player face, imo.

Regards

Nicolas
--