[crossfire] GTK client compilation issue w/ newer autotools

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Feb 15 01:16:53 CST 2012

On 02/14/12 04:49 PM, David McIlwraith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> X_LIBS does not appear to include libX11 with bleeding-edge auto*
> tools; I am not sure if this is an issue with the client source itself
> or a problem elsewhere. Nonetheless, on svn r16896 (up-to-date local
> ArchLinux [x86_64] system), configure.ac must be modified such that
> -lX11 is added in a similar vein to Xext. Noting that I have not
> encountered this issue before when packaging the client, I am unsure
> as to where the problem lies -- does anyone have any insight here?

  Does pkg-config exist on the system (it may not - it seems like every few
years yet a new method of determine package information comes out).

  It would be interesting to see what 'pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0' comes back
with - that should provide the libraries that gtk+ needs.  For example, on my
solaris system, I get:

pkg-config --libs gtk+-2.0
-R/usr/lib -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lsecdb -ltsol -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lpangoft2-1.0
-lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lm -lpangocairo-1.0 -lXext -lXrender -lXinerama -lXi -lXrandr
-lXcursor -lXcomposite -lXdamage -lgio-2.0 -lXfixes -lcairo -lX11 -lpango-1.0
-lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lpthread
-lglib-2.0

  Note that -X11 (along with a bunch of other X libraries) is there.

  If pkg-config is not listing those libraries, I would suggest some problem
with the distribution related to pkg-config not reporting correct information.
If that information is there, and for some reason the configure is not using it,
that would require more investigation.