[crossfire] Race inconsistency for "gnome"

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Sun May 12 01:08:51 CDT 2013

On 05/11/13 12:02 PM, Nicolas Weeger wrote:
> Hello.
>
> The "gnome" archetype is defined as having a race of "gnome", but in the
> lib/races file it is defined (and reset by server) as "dwarf".
>

> So I guess one should be fixed, which one?

  Further digging may be necessary - if the gnome race is not used in any spells
(or is not the enemy of any god), making the player race gnome may be more of an
advantage, unless there is some backstory for why gnomes never offended anyone.
  But having it be dwarf would just seem odd.

  The races file is actually a bit of a hack - IIRC, it was originally done way
back when as an easy way to tweak races (single file to modify, instead of
needing to go into all the different arch files and do a collect).  Perhaps more
an issue back in the old days when a collect may thrash the disk for several
minutes, but all it does now is create confusion, as it redefines something in
the archetypes.

  Of course, now it is used for other things, like summoning lists, so is not
really easy to remove.

> I admit to not knowing, maybe the easiest fix is to let the race as "gnome",
> there are other monsters with it anyway.

  The more interesting and harder fix would be to be able to do racial
heirarchies.  EG, you could have 'good humanoids' or the like which include
gnome, dwarf, elf, etc, so it is easy to just include that in an enemy list.