[crossfire] [RFC 0/3] Work on keys.c and the keybinding system

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 18:46:23 CDT 2013

Hi Arvid,

Thank you very much for your contributions, it's really appreciated! I'm
glad you enjoy playing Crossfire as much as you want to improve it.

On 10/28/2013 18:09, Arvid Brodin wrote:
> I'm thinking that perhaps I should also change the flags in the keys file so
> that they conform with the modifier keys? Originally they were:
>
> [A]ll, [N]ormal, [F]ire, [R]un, A[L]t, [M]eta, [E]dit.
>
> Perhaps
>
> [A]ny, [N]one, [S]hift, [C]trl, A[L]t, [M]eta, [E]dit.

This seems to me like a good idea. Since they won't coexist with the old
key binding format, it should be perfectly fine. Maybe overhauling the
entire file format isn't a bad idea, either.

> Maybe also change the -d flag of 'bind' to '-i' (ignore)? Or '-a' (but -a meant
> Alt before).

The command-line bind command has been quite messy. I'm fairly certain
that most people use the key binding dialog, so I think changing it
wouldn't be a problem.

> Looking forward, I would like to remove the fire_on and run_on "hacks" and
> instead use a generic way to handle repeating keys. Then one would bind e.g.

The underlying issue may also be in the server protocol. I don't
remember very well right now, I'll have to take a look at the code. I'm
fairly used to the CTRL-RUN combination, but realize that a
press-and-hold solution is more intuitive. If you can get both to work
I'll be sold.

A final nitpick: sending patches as MIME attachments is much easier to
work with. Is the mailing list scrubbing them and putting them inline?

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng