[crossfire] Crossfire server code cleanup/janitorial

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Thu Apr 24 01:48:21 CDT 2014

  Just a quick note:

While using external libraries for certain common things can be handy, one also
has to be careful about how common these libraries are (eg, if it doesn't exist
on certain platforms, its convenience factor goes down a whole bunch)

Beyond that, there was a separate ticket/discussion about the need to have perl
for the server on windows to collect the archetypes.  To me, that isn't a big
issue, but so some it is, and if that is an issue, I'd then think requiring
additional libraries would fall into that extra pain.  It could also make binary
distributions harder

certainly, using standard functions that are available on all systems and
simplify life should be done.

  The socket code got a bit messy with all the WIN32 #ifdefs - a simpler
solution there would probably be add a 'read_from_socket' type function which
makes the appropriate call and checks the appropriate error types and returns
appropriate error code, so all that logic only has to be in one function and not
duplicated many times.  Same could be done for the write calls.