[crossfire] World generator (land.c) questions

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Tue Feb 11 14:56:42 CST 2014

Hello,

I'm using the world generator (land.c) found in maps/trunk/Info to
generate a new continent for the in-progress Pup Land Big World migration.

Here's a sample command I ran for a sample map:

$ ./lander -m . -m -x 1500 -y 1500 -s 1007623715 -p 300 -n 170 -w
10000 -l 50000

And here is what I have been able to gather along with my questions
and comments.  Can anyone help clarify or answer my questions for me?

- -x = number of 50 tile wide maps on x axis (1500 would be 30 maps that
are 50 pixels wide; 150 would be 3 maps 50 pixels wide).  No questions
here.

- -y = number of 50 tile tall maps on y axis (1500 would be 30 maps that
are 50 pixels tall; 150 would be 3 maps 50 pixels tall).  No questions
here.

seed (-s) = ??

Random number used to generate the fractal? Is there a min and max
value that can be used?  Does higher numbers provide more land or more
water or neither? Higher or lower numbers for more jagged coastline or
more rounded coastline and islands?

land (-l) = ??

Is there a min and max value that can be used?  Does higher numbers
provide more land or more water or neither? Higher or lower numbers
for more jagged coastline or more rounded coastline and islands?

passes (-n) = Make lakes and ocean trenches. General note - it works
better to have more passes, but each pass doing less work - this
results in more consistent lakes and ocean trenching. Found this
summary in either the write or source code.  No questions here.

wpasses (-p) = ??

What is this?

Is there a min and max value that can be used?  Does higher numbers
provide more land or more water or neither?

water (-w) = ??