[crossfire] Game change proposals

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat Jun 14 16:17:03 CDT 2014

Hello.

>   I'm not familiar to the original game, but I'd be careful with anything
> that is too time sensitive.  I'd also like a better idea of what you
> envision.  Is it something like there are 10 (or 20) different lockpicks
> in the game, and the character has to use them in the right order?
> Presumably, the lockpick skill should still come in to play in some way
> for this also (amount of time to pick the lock, or perhaps some amount of
> not needing the precise lockpicks or something)

Something like that, yes - you need to use the correct lockpicks in the
correct order.

So you could have special doors requiring a special lockpick found in a
special place.

> Another easy thing would be to have most chests locked - the player could
> bash them open, but might destroy the items inside.

Yes, could be done too :)

>   That is a big change, and probably fairly simple to do - most other games
> do this (those creatures may be attacking you with axes, but you don't get
> all those weapons when you kill them).  Likewise, even of the items that
> are out there, one could reasonably ask do we really need the number of
> different swords out there that vary by a minor detail.  I know some games
> do this, but that is more related to skins (this sword looks cool) - with
> the way crossfire is, that really isn't the case.

I was thinking of adding a second treasure list to monsters, which contains
items to drop at death.

Would need to figure how to make steal work, though.

>   That would be good, but is also a major change - the vast majority of
> maps would need to be refactored (maps with gobs of monsters would just be
> unplayable).

Yes. On the other hand, it'd make for a nice map review :)

>   Seems reasonable, though than in itself creates yet different issues (if
> a player can use a weapon effectively enough to constantly keep a monster
> stunned, probably makes for an easy combat)

Then the monster isn't that high level, is it?

Or make it so the time the player needs to launch the stun attack is longer
that the actual stun.

>   Agree - most of those are side effects.  The trickier part on some of
> those is whether resistances should exist and how to then factor them in -
> the number of attacks and number of resistances sort of go hand in hand.
> While one could certainly come up with different logic to handle those,
> that solution may just be more complicated.
>
>   Note that if you did all the above changes, that is some fairly radical
> changes to the game (attack rate and item drop). Though perhaps the second
> comes from the first - if combat is a lot slower, that would then suggest
> there are a lot fewer monsters, which should then mean a lot lower item
> drop.

Yes, radical changes is what I'm thinking of.

There are a zillion hack-and-slash games. So maybe we should try something
different?

Regards

Nicolas