[crossfire] Version bump request?

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:35:21 CDT 2014

On 03/31/2014 01:47, Mark Wedel wrote:
>  There used to be a schedule, but any such process requires that the
> person making the release have time to do it.  Also, on some of those, I
> got people asking on why I'm doing a release then vs in a month, and
> that time based releases didn't make much sense, which sort of made me
> disinclined to do such time based/scheduled releases.

A release schedule might be useful for things that are frequently
updated in small pieces, such as arches and maps. To keep it in sync
with the major/minor release cycle, only bump the 'micro' revision.

That said, it would have limited usefulness because most people who run
servers stick to a single revision or simply follow trunk.

>   In theory, anyone can be given release admin privs, and there isn't
> anything that prevents anyone from making a release (there are not any
> secret/private tools that I use).  I'm pretty sure I wrote a wiki doc on
> the release process that describes all the steps.

Here they are:

http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/crossfire_release_guide
http://wiki.metalforge.net/doku.php/crossfire_release_cycle

>  Now clearly, it does make some sense that releases be coordinated - if
> you have 5 people each making releases based on what they seem
> reasonable, the release process could become a real mess.
>

>> Right now the code seems stable and no massive changes are being
>> planned. Is cutting a release feasible in the next week?
>
>  Are you volunteering to make the release, or are you asking the person
> that typically makes releases (me) if I can make a release?

I'd gladly volunteer to work on release engineering.

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng