[crossfire] 'svn:externals' pointers to stable/next/latest

Kevin Zheng kevinz5000 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 17:57:25 CDT 2014

Hi there,

A while ago I wrote to the list regarding the removal of svn:externals
from the client source directory in Subversion. Now I would like to
point at a few remaining external references in the repository.

The 'stable', 'next', and 'latest' folders in the root were set up as
links to other parts of the repository. In my opinion this is confusing
and has outlived its usefulness, and should be removed.

The 'next' branch currently points to 1.12.0, and is not documented on
the wiki. 1.12.0 is ancient and only in active use on Metalforge. The
name is misleading.

The 'stable' branch currently points to 1.70.0, which makes sense.
Keeping this seems logical. This makes updating a server checked out
from the branch easy, although its usefulness still seems limited.

The 'latest' branch contains a single pointer to gridarta, which
probably deserves its own top-level external reference. According to the
wiki, it's supposed to point to the trunk directories, but those paths
never change so there it's only there for convenience.

I'd like to know whether or not there are still people using these
links. If not, I'd like to get rid of them.

Thanks,
Kevin Zheng