[crossfire] Update client GLib dependency

Tolga Dalman tolga.dalman at googlemail.com
Fri May 9 14:57:51 CDT 2014

Hi Kevin,

On 05/08/2014 03:25 AM, Kevin Zheng wrote:
> GLib is a very useful library that provides portable data structures,
> lexical scanners, threads, mutexes, timers, hook functions, and sockets.
> Currently it is only used in the GTKv2 client because it is a dependency of
> GTK+. I propose that GLib should be a dependency for the entire client.

I like the idea and agree to all your arguments (with one comment below).

> 2. GLib will make things more portable. I've been able to get the client
> building on Windows again, but it's still very messy, particularly due to
> excessive conditional compilation. GLib implements its own portable sockets
> that can be used on multiple platforms.

We should investigate, whether the socket code should be aligned with the
server part.
That said, I'm reluctant to make glib a dependency for the server as well.
However, I agree that portability (and, thus, better code) should be
in the focus. What alternatives do we at least for the socket code have ?
As discussed previously, SDL Net could be one such option amongst others.

Best regards
Tolga Dalman