[crossfire] A funny thing happened on the way to the new maps

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Apr 2 00:16:44 CDT 2016

On Fri, 1 Apr 2016, Kevin Zheng wrote:

> Sounds interesting. Any chance your server is online so I can take a
> look at your new maps? I'd love to hear more about your 'interesting'
> game dynamics with a big world (and lots of mice).

I am looking at opening it up.  I was considering relocating it to a
Linode but the 100GB storage is significant.  That's one of the reasons
I'm thinking that compressed maps would be great - since they are all text
anyway they compress really well.

The server is currently at my house.  I'll probably open it up as a trial
but not sure how well it will perform as I'm on DSL.

I think Matthew Giassa's idea of using mice with different characteristics
would be fantastic.  The world is divided in to several continents so I
may reserve one for experimentation :)

As we speak the mouse plague is steadily heading south along the road
towards a major city.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440
IRC: Solver (OFTC, Freenode and Snoonet)