[crossfire] Map changes?

Rick Tanner leaf at real-time.com
Tue Apr 9 14:54:55 CDT 2019

On 4/9/19 7:49 AM, Preston Crow wrote:
> Metalforge is running a very old server and map set.  It would be great
> if it could be updated.  I'm not aware of anything that would break;
> perhaps making a copy and testing it with updated maps and server would
> be a good approach.  I think they want to avoid a reset of characters
> that have been playing for years.

All guild maps would "break" during an upgrade.

There is also numerous problems with player files. Last test I did was
players would loose dozens of levels in all skills due to how experience
is allocated to skills. Plus, game changes with how experience is
allocated to skills would leave old players with much more exp on
multiple skills such as sense magic, sense curse, find traps, et al.

Changes with movement code would require manual repair of many player
apartments because old archetypes of opened gates/grates now block the
player from entering the map. Those incompatible archetype properties
are saved in the object in the map file.

Yes, part of avoiding the upgrade was avoiding another player file purge.

There was also the plan of trunk being the experimental code base that
once issues were fixed and/or balance changes more balanced - would get
back ported to trunk. As I recall or understand it, there was not enough
developer resources to keep that going. So, branch was closed down and
future releases were based on trunk.