[crossfire] Improving IRC availability with a chat bridge

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Feb 7 08:55:47 CST 2019

On Sun, Feb 03, 2019 at 04:47:43PM -0500, Nathaniel Kipps wrote:

> > > Can you give some of these reasons? I'd love to hear them.
> >
> > They depend on  a browser, they spy on you, they are not quick, they
> > don't integrate with my email client, I can't run them from a shell,
> > they are a security nightmare, they don't allow for smother
> > communications .... etc etc etc.
>
> Let's not be too hasty here. After all, those are perfectly valid
> reasons, but they are only reasons why *you* choose not to use those
> communication methods, and not reasons to get rid of them entirely.

Actually, those are all reasons to get rid of them entirely.  It is too
bad that this current generation has been dragged around on their
cellphones and data steeling aps that aren't really more than slashdot
analogs, but I don't suffer any such difficency of vission.

Slack and Discord are crap spying and data collection tools that is
inadequate compared to my email client for spinning discussion.

They are insecure and tools for spying and break privacy.

Other than that, they provide zero benifits over email lists and IRC.

The problem here is in perception and being used to OSes where
using more than one desktop at a time, or even one window at a time, is
a major complication.  I suffer from none of that, and those things I
listed are factual problems and not an opinion.

It would be fun to have an IRC channel inside of crossfire's clients,
but it is wholing uneeded if the client plays wells with others on the
desktop, which newer versions are finding more difficult to do...

I am perfectly capable of playing with an IRC client sitting right on
the desktop.