[crossfire] abil_burning_hands.arc face is spell/Cone/spell_burning_hands.base.111.png?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jun 5 23:49:11 CDT 2019

  Face names are unique.  The collect script goes through the arch directory,
collecting all the .arc files, .face, etc.  It then builds the lib/bmaps file -
if you look there, you will notice that there is no path in it.

  That file basically provides a mapping of face name to face number.  So if
something uses foobar.111.png, the game looks to see what number it is.

  The client does not have the arch directory - rather, the server has a file
with all the faces.  When that file is generated, it just collects all the .png
files into one file (for speed) - once again, the path information is not needed.

So for your script, what would probably make sense is to parse the
lib/bmaps.paths - that contains the full path names.

I'm not quite sure how the editor does it.

Also, it is not allowed to use the same face name for 2 different images - I'm
not quite sure what will happen - I think collect may complain, but otherwise,
it may depend on the order the directory tree is walked.