[crossfire] Cartography

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Mon May 20 12:34:11 CDT 2019

Hello.

There was a discussion on IRC about adding cartography to Crossfire, that is
writing down map plans on a scroll.

So I'm jolting some ideas around on the list, to see if there are good ideas
to use ;)

One idea was giving them a limiter number of uses, so players are motivated in
exploring and making more maps.

I'm not too sure though, maybe that's an artificial limit...

Also, it probably wouldn't be a skill, but rather an object (cartography
toolkit).

Options include requiring a writing pen and using it; the magic mapping skill
(so the map is the result of that spell), or using something based on the
player's field of view; the toolkit being usable a certain number of times only
or not.

I was wondering how to display them ingame. Either as a magic map (like the
magic mapping spell), or eg in a book (which requires a protocol change).
Nicer in a book, IMO.

From a technical point of view, I have a prototype, written as a C plugin, but
it'll require more work :)

Nicolas