[crossfire] Archetypes collection changes proposal

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Wed Dec 9 11:39:45 CST 2020

Hello.

I think my code works nicely now :) It's been running on invidious for some
days, no crash as far as I can tell.

What I added as support:

- of course, ability to run the server with a simple "arch" directory, without
any collect to do :)

- ability of the server to read .tar files with .png image files (only png for
now because of loading routines using FILE* directly - will be changed
ultimately)

- ability to create "packed" archetypes, treasures, faces, png, and such
things. Again this is done by the server directly. When everything is packed
in a single file per asset, loading is quite fast :)

I did not add gz support, I'm not sure it's worth it (we're talking about some
MB of data only), but once .tar support is complete it shouldn't be too hard
to add.

What I plan to change/fix:
- move "smoothface" stuff from .arc to .face files

- change the "image_info" file format (removing the index and using the prefix
for fallback)

- probably add some extensions to various files, to not rely on the name only
(artifacts, messages, attackmess, image_info, formulae notably)

- while I'm at it, I'll also remove the "race reset" functionality from the
races file, it is not used at all - besides, what's the point since one can
simply change the archetype directly?)

- also, when "packing" archetypes or treasures or ..., comments are not stored
(as opposed to the current collect system). This may be fixed if I'm courageous
enough ;)

So, should I just commit to trunk? :D

Best regards

Nicolas