[crossfire] Game play thoughts, ideas, ramblings :)

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sun Dec 13 04:25:54 CST 2020

Hello.

Been thinking of the game play lately, so I figured I'd share some ideas,
ramblings, thoughts about that :)

I'm not saying I'll change the game to match what I say in this mail, I merely
want to share ideas & such to see what other opinions exist :) I'm not either
saying I'll fight against patches going in another direction :)

Everything reflects my opinions and tastes, even if I write it as an affirmation
for simplicity, and nothing is an absolute truth of course :p And I may be
wrong or forget things, feel free to correct :)

And I of course may be influenced by other games, hack & slash ones, quite
possibly :)

First and foremost, CF is a keyboard-based game. Yes it's possible to use the
mouse for some things, but mostly the game uses the keyboard.

Therefore it is not a point-and-click, and I for one don't want CF to become
one - keyboard is fine.

In the same way, the game is tile-based, not a discrete grid.

About the world, it's mostly fantasy-based. There are hints about mechanical-
like things (in Euthville notably), and maybe we could add some items or maps
in this taste, but I'd rather not be going into a real cyberpunk universe, or
a science-fiction one. So magic, monsters, gods, maybe some mechanical, but no
spaceships, no planes, or such :)

There is much content, scattered in the world. Many maps have no hints so one
has to just wander around to find'em, others are linked to quests or texts or
such.

I'm not for a guide-based game where every & all maps have hints pointing to
their existence, having to move around to explore is fine, but maybe right now
there aren't enough hints or such...

Random maps aren't that interesting. They are mostly experience source, or a
filler between handmade maps. Maybe we could try to generate dungeons with eg a
final boss, some special reward, and reduce "filler" maps (like Valriel's or
Gorokh's temples which have like 100 levels...).

And random maps look too similar, too small for many monsters...

Currently, the game is based on D&D rules, with AC/WC, classes, races, and
such. With our current implementation, characters can't really be customized,
they all tend to be similar. Classes don't really have much sense, except the
monk with meditation. Races have slightly more meaning, with restrictions on
weapons or armour or things like that.

I think I would prefer having more distinct playing styles, so not jack-of-
all-traces characters but ones with real distinctions, maybe special skills
for some classes or races, real skills to kill monsters that make a difference
in how we play.

One consequence of the D&D rules is that attribute points don't really matter
soon after starting playing - once you reach 25+ in all stats (except cha),
not much else to do... I'm not sure whether I like this system or if I prefer
gaining points for each level that you can position on stats like you want (eg
gain 2 points per level that you can inject in str or dex or wis). This would
allow customizing the character more. But this means we have to figure how
those points affect eg damage, ac/wc, and such.

About items, I think there are waaaaaaaayyyy too many. Junk given by monsters
is just too much, it takes a while to sort items. Yes it makes for more
realistic stuff (why would only 1 goblin on 10 have a sword?), but it becomes
quite a chore to sort.

I was thinking about the possibility of giving treasure items a chance to be
god-given. Eg a goblin would have a sword and a shield, each having a 70%
chance of being god-given. Thus the goblin would be equipped to fight, but
wouldn't drop so much junk. Or the item would break and become a dust pile,
something like that.

I like the idea of being able to customize weapons or armour (maybe other
items?), with scrolls or spells, but that needs to be balanced to not push
towards the same customization.

Ha, and I'd really love fun items to change the game play - a sword that
randomly bites you or cast a spell? A powerful armor that randomly teleports
you a few cases away? An amulet that sucks your sp to give fire resist?

About spells, I think there are too many, and many useless. Why the need to
have "small fireball", "medium fireball", and "large fireball"? Why not having it
scale better, or the medium replacing the small and such? Or allowing the
player to balance the spell's effects between duration, range, damage?

Some spells like poison cloud don't seem really useful...

Some skills are way too slow to level. Summoning is quite bad, summoned
monsters are just too weak. They definitely need a big boost, to make it more
interesting.

Resistances are too numerous, and messy - 50% for acid is enough to protect
your items, but eg confusion at 70% may lead to being confused. So some
rethinking may be in order.

About character leveling, I think the "speed to level" really depends on the
"endgame" we wish to have. Is the aim of the game to become a really powerful
character who can slay anything? Is the aim to just explore and find
interesting maps/items, leveling being a side-effect? Both have drawbacks,
mostly the need to create content or the need to balance monsters :)

Given the game style, aiming for a "all-monsters-slayer" doesn't sound that
great to me, I think I'd rather aim for "explore the world to find good and
interesting items or maps". Which of course requires to add content...

We don't have a "final boss to kill", and I don't wish to have such endgame :)

Sorry for the long mail :)

Best regards

Nicolas