[crossfire] Monsters balance

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Fri May 1 04:01:50 CDT 2020

Hello.

Monsters balance (and game balance in general) is a big topic obviously :)

I think right now monsters aren't really balanced, with big gaps in terms of
difficulty (how long it takes to kill them, how dangerous they are for players)
versus experience they give versus rewards they provide, and such.

So I was thinking along the idea of making monsters more like players in terms
levels.

Basically: for various "types" of monsters, define a level 1 prototype, and
leveling rules. Then using that generate monsters of various levels.

For instance, with totally random numbers that would need to be adjusted :)

For undead, decide that zombies are level 1, with eg 4 hp, dam 2, they give
100 exp. For each undead level, add 3 hp, 1.5 dam, 2 armour, and 500 exp.

If ghosts are level 5, then they have approximately 16 hp, dam 8, armour 8,
giving 2100 exp.

Of course this wouldn't be a hard rule, it could be changed and altered, but
it could make monsters more interesting.

It also doesn't take into account armour/weapons/spells, or hp regeneration,
of course.

Exp itself is a big topic too. It really depends on how many monsters we want
players to kill to level up. Should it be a zillion monsters? A few hundred of
around the same level? Could one or 2 really though give enough exp to level
up?

Those are just random thoughts, but I wanted to share them :)

Best regards

Nicolas