[crossfire] Monsters balance

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Sat May 9 12:36:27 CDT 2020

Hello.

>   Totally true. I tried to balance them somewhat at one point, but it is a
> big task, and hard to get right.  Also, because some monsters have
> vulnerabilities, they still become easy to kill if the players know to use
> the right spell/weapon against them.

But that's also part of the fun, IMO.

>   I always sort of thoughts that if you say monster level should be roughly
> equal to player level (though maybe not, so you tend to have swarms of
> monsters in crossfire), you would want things like HP to be on par, eg, a
> level 5 monster should have roughly same HP as level 5 player.

Yes, that's an option.

I never said it'd be a small change :)

>   Rather than monsters, it may be better to think about time to do so.  Is
> 30 minutes/level (up to some level, like 20) a reasonable time?  So it
> takes 10 hours to get to level 20?  Then you start looking at how fast you
> kill them, etc.

That really depends on the kind of game we want, though. If we want 30m per
level, we'd also need enough maps of the good level, with correct monsters...

But then, we could also consider the aim of the game is exploring the world,
leveling up being a side-effect...

>   It could make some sense that for dungeons, most of the trash monsters are
> worth very little experience, but the final end monster is worth a lot -
> more than it should be worth from a pure monster perspective, but that
> basis is more of 'this is the reward for getting to the end'.  And one can
> then make a better guess on how long it would take a player of the
> appropriate level to get to that point.

True, another important balance choice...

Best regards

Nicolas