[crossfire] File format

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Dec 16 13:24:22 CST 2021

Hello.

Replying to various points in the same mail :)

I think comments should be included in our format, and not in the embedding
format.

That is instead of having "# this is a treasure list for a dragon" or "<!--
comment -->", have a "comment" field for a treasure list (and same for other
types).

Rationale: comments can then be linked to specific items (thus give explanation
or comments), and don't need specific handling when manipulating a file.

A global file comment can be introduced too, as a file header (eg description of
the fields).

So for this point JSON is fine too.

INI is definitely out of the list for me, because we have many complex
structures, with hierarchical relations.

I haven't much used YAML, so can't comment too much on it.

I admit XML would probably be my favorite, because we can define a XSD and
validate everything - of course we can do the same for JSON with JsonSchema :)

It is also used by Gridarta, so could simplify sharing things with it.

As a downside point it is really verbose...

Hopefully though the files will ultimately be manipulated through tools and not
edited directly... ^.^;;;

Regards

Nicolas