[crossfire] File format

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Tue Dec 21 11:07:42 CST 2021

Hello.

> Since XML is a subset (superset?) of SGML, I think finding and
> incorporating an XML parser is much easier than a SGML one.

Probably, yes.

> I think the biggest tug of war would be between JSON and XML. I would
> likely lean toward JSON, since it's more compact.

Both are good enough in my eyes, so I guess it'll depend on who actually
writes the first code :)

> I think it's important that editing tools are more or less ironclad
> before making a big change. As hard as it is to learn to make and
> submit new/changed content, I'd hate to see it get more intimidating
> through adoption of new formats.

Well, some people find modifying text files intimidating, I guess... Yes tools
should be as ironclad as possible, but bugs happen... Besides, a good text
editor nowadays will handle JSON or XML without too much hassle, so changing
manually would still be possible.

> Overall, I'll be sad to see a departure from the current flat files,
> though I acknowledge that the need for something more "standard" is
> legitimate.

Well, you can always write a parser generator :)

Given the flat text format definition (in what language?), a generator that'll
write a parser (and writer) for it.

Then we can keep the flat files :D

Best regards

Nicolas