[crossfire] SVN history issues

Nathaniel Kipps nkipps at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 22:52:39 CST 2021

Recently I was rooting through SVN history, trying to trace some old
facesets and PNGs, when I found a few anomalies. Maybe someone with
more experience than me is able to determine:
* Can these be fixed retroactively?
* If so, is it easier to fix them in SVN or Git?

The first issue is that at least one time in the past, a number of
files were moved or renamed, but instead of tracking the change, it
was treated as a large number of deletions and new files. The instance
I found was r1487, in which mwedel renamed most or all of the face
images. This was presumably done under CVS, and the broken history was
passed into SVN. This is certainly not a catastrophic problem, as it's
not too hard to continue tracing the history of the file, but it's
certainly annoying.

The second (and more severe) issue is that a lot of old PNGs have
become corrupted. An example would again be r1487, where it appears
that all the old images are broken, and all the new ones are fine.
Thanks to some folks in IRC, we determined that the *older* images
have been corrupted by insertion of extra CR symbols, as though
something was trying to convert the file from LF to CR/LF. My best
guess is that the PNGs were tagged wrong in CVS, then during the CVS
to SVN conversion, the accidental CR/LF conversion was done on the
PNGs. Supporting this theory is r13991, in which anmaster comments
"Fix incorrect svn properties ... that could in worst case result in
corruption."

Anyone have any thoughts on whether fixing these is possible, and if
so, how much effort might it require?

--DraugTheWhopper