[crossfire] Git for arch, maps, server, and client

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Thu Jan 14 02:45:01 CST 2021

Hello.

> Based on IRC and private conversations, it seems that many current
> developers and contributors would prefer to use Git. Therefore, I'm
> proposing to migrate the arch, maps, and server to Git.

Fine by me :)

> - Non-committing contributors can more easily create bite-sized,
>    reviewable patches using Git.

Yup, makes it easy to comment specific lines of code when needed, and see
proposed changes without having to download the file.

> - It's difficult to understand and use. Fortunately, Git seems to be
>    pretty popular these days, and there are many resources for beginners.

If people encounter difficulties, I'm sure many will be ready to help... We'll
be able to make a good FAQ if needed.

> - Non-linear history is confusing. I'd like to propose that Crossfire
>    maintain linear history by enforcing fast-forward only commits to
>    master.

Yes, mandatory IMO. If it can be forbidden in some options on SF, then let's
forbid.

> - Large initial clones. Currently, the initial clone of the server is
>    24 MiB, the maps 91 MiB, the archs 26.7 MiB, and the client 14 MiB.

Not that big for today, and only to do once.

Note that it's possible I think to only get the latest revision without
getting the whole history (it probably is "--depth 1", will need to check to
ensure).

> - Loss of monotonically-increasing revision identifiers. Sorry.

Did we ever actually use that? I mean, was it at any point critical?

Thanks :)

Best regards

Nicolas