[crossfire] Handling massive loot

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Wed Mar 24 19:24:41 CDT 2021

On Wed, 24 Mar 2021, Nathaniel Kipps wrote:

> This is definitely a very blunt fix, and thus has blunt consequences.
> For example, let's say a player *did* need to pick up 1000 items. If
> they're limited to 10 items per tick, and the operation returns after
> those ten items, they'll have to issue "get all" 100 times before all
> the items are retrieved. I think it's definitely better to only
> inflict a time penalty, not a time penalty + UI penalty.

This is probably a good time to remind everyone that CF supports scripting
client and server side.  I feel like this isn't mentioned enough.  I've
written scripts that could be adapted to deal with that.

Eg, here is a simple shell script to pray a number of times:

$less praylots
#!/bin/bash

case $1 in
"")
         echo "Please specify a number of times to pray"
         exit 10
         ;;
*)
                 NUM=$1
                 ;;
esac

for I in $(seq $NUM)
do
         echo "issue 1 1 use_skill pray"
done

I'm not really commenting on Mark's proposal but faced with this situation
I would script it.

Rob