[crossfire] flatpak

Jussi Eloranta eloranta at aa6kj.hopto.org
Sat Dec 17 00:14:14 CST 2022

Hi Rick and Nicolas,

Thanks for your feedback. And yes, I understand Nicolas' concern of
maintaining this. I am not sure what is the best way to integrate this
into your code base (& automate). First, I see that you are using
sourceforge and flathub uses github for application submission. So,
making things automatic would require pushing things to two different
places. But perhaps the releases do not take place that often and this
can be done somewhat manually? But I will try to see how others are
doing this.

But since at least the idea was not shot down immediately, I will start
looking more into this :-) For example, shattered pixel dungeon (single
player rogue-like RPG) has the flatpak files here:

https://github.com/flathub/com.shatteredpixel.shatteredpixeldungeon

In addition to flatpak related files, one also needs to include two
other files for flathub (desktop file and general application
description file in xml format). Examples of both of these are above.
The flatpak builder file in this case is in json format (rather than yml).

Flathub takes the application entries from github (like the above
example). Here is the full documentation for the submission process:

https://github.com/flathub/flathub/wiki/App-Submission

Application updates go via that route as well (as far as I understand).
Anyway, just wanted to let you know what the big picture is. I will try
to come up with the required files. By the way, are the clients
(actually just the java client) also under GPL2 copyright (like the
server)?

Finally - and unfortunately - flathub no longer supports gtk2, so all
this would be for the java client only. Personally I like the gtk2
client more but this is probably only because I have used it for many
years...

Best wishes,

Jussi Eloranta

ps. Forgot... com.real-time.crossfire does not work for the name because
of the dash. Right now I have com.real_time.crossfire but, of course,
that would not resolve to anything using DNS. So, any suggestions?