[crossfire] Building in C++?

Nicolas Weeger nicolas.weeger at laposte.net
Fri Jun 10 10:58:20 CDT 2022

Hello.

Le dimanche 29 mai 2022, 16:39:11 CEST Preston Crow a écrit :
> Crossfire is built around objects, so I can see why making such a change
> would seem to make sense,

That's not at all the reason to make the change :D

> but I'm not clear that it would really improve
> anything in particular.  The first question is what language features in
> C++ would be useful?

Lists, sets, things like that (to stop implementing our own each time). As
well as smart pointers, and such.

As I said in my first mail, I don't intend to make everything object-oriented,
not my goal.

> I'm a bit concerned about security running a public Crossfire server.
> Switching to C++ would do nothing to help, but I was thinking Rust would
> be interesting.  That would be a major porting effort; essentially a
> rewrite.  Probably not worth it, especially for such a relatively new
> language.

Not something I'll ever contribute to :D

> For the server, the game is quite stable, so we would need some major
> reason to make a big change.  Most of the changes now should be tweaks
> to fix issues, often hidden bugs that are exposed when a new map tries
> something original.

I'll disagree there, new features are often useful to improve the game
experience.

> Ultimately, what the game needs is not server work.  It needs more
> players and more maps.

Totally agreed there. Unfortunately I'm not good at content making, thus I try
to improve tools (like CRE) to help others make content.

> If you want to do coding, is there some possibility to build a client in
> Rust compiled to Webassembly to run in a browser?  That would be all
> kinds of awesome!

Definitely not on my to-do list :)

Best regards

Nicolas