Armour Class discussion, was Re: [CF-Devel] Crossfire's Speeds andweapons

Michael Toennies mtx93 at tzi.de
Fri Dec 1 12:36:28 CST 2000

Hi

Perhaps we should use the 3rd Edition changes.

ALso, for map design/monster calculation we can make some better balanced
maps and monsters, if the ac/wc calculated like downwards. Its always a good
idea to make things easier.

But when we do changes, i suggest to implement the 3rd AD&D rules exactly,
because iam also a old RPG guy and the AD&D rules are "the rules".
Also, I never get very happy with this THAC0 system
(i have some AD&D books here from before this times).

I find it always to complicate for a simple thing like armor and hit.

MichToen

      Traditionally AC has has been calculated on the basis of 20, counting

      downwards.  However the current trend is going the opposite.  AD&D 3rd

      Edition starts at 10 and goes upward.  This system is now the new standard

      for the D20 Open Gaming license as well.  The reason is for simplicity,

      all you have to remember is higher numbers are better.  Like what DNH

      suggests.

      If AC needs to be renamed, then perhaps calling it Defense Rating or

      Defense Class ?

      Another note, if AC is changed to "bigger is better," would changes to the

      WC (displayed in the client) need to be changed as well?  Again, it goes

      to the non-THAC0 system that 3rd edition now uses.  If your WC + d20 is

      greater than opponents AC, then you hit.

      Let the discussion continue =)

      dnh at hawthorn.csse.monash.edu.au

       wrote:

      > > * Change AC so that the displayer AC (in the client) is (AC -

      20) x -1.

      > > This will then mean the overall Armour Class a player has is

      give as zero

      > > then increases as more AC is gained. Although I know it has been a

      > > tradition to have it going 20 then decreasing, I would like

      to make it so

      > > that all numbers are -> Bigger = Better. (On this theme we recently

      > > changed it so that higher values of hunger are better, it

      used to be that

      > > hunger -1 is good.. but this seemed alittle out of place).

      > I mostly agree on your proposals, but I don't like this one... Armour

      > class has always been calculated with a basis of 20, counting downwards

      > when adding armour. This is so in AD&D, this is also so for

      most all RPGs

      > and MUDs.

      > Call me conservative, but I'd really hate to see that change.

      If you chose

      > to do this, you should really call it something else, since AC

      (or Armour

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com