Armour Class discussion, was Re: [CF-Devel] Crossfire's Speeds andweapons

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Dec 1 21:33:19 CST 2000

Michael Toennies wrote:

      Hi

      Perhaps we should use the 3rd Edition changes.

      ALso, for map design/monster calculation we can make some better balanced

      maps and monsters, if the ac/wc calculated like downwards. Its always a good

      idea to make things easier.

 I don't think the change to wc/ac will make it any eaiser (or harder) to
balance monsters.

 Granted, the client could make any appearance changes it wants.  The problem is
I think that creates more confusion as the client display will tell you
something (for values it generates), but for information the server tells you
(like examining a monster or other areas), you would get opposite information.

 While I agree that the positive system that AD&Dv3 uses is simpler for players,
I don't think that is an issue here - the program deals with all the rolls and
adjustments and whatever else.

 To me, it is not hard to tell players that for ac and wc, lower is better.

 I personally suggest we don't follow any game system 'exactly'.  First, I don't
want to have to worry about any potential copyright issues.  Second, we should
do what works best, which for a program can be quite different than a real life
system.