[CF-Devel] Bows and shields

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Fri Dec 1 21:40:20 CST 2000

Peter Mardahl wrote:

      "I'm gonna zap you with a magic lightning bolt!  Oh yeah, and me, a

      human being, is 100x tougher than that other human being over there,

      because I'm level 20 and he's level 1!  Oh, look at that dragon over there

      breathing fire!"

 I don't know how many people use it, but the CASTING_TIME time in config.h

 In that case, spell casting was like you described a bow.  Wait a few seconds
to cast that spell.

 The simple fact is that crossfire is a fast paced game.  If the game was slower
paced, then I could see additional realism in terms of equipping approriate
items and what not.

 But if I'm running arround killing stuff, I don't want to have to unequip the
shield, equip bow, fire some more, etc.

 One thing that may make bows more useful is something like a 'quiver of
unlimited arrows'.  It would always create normal arrows on demand (when
equipped).  This should be a fairly costly item (couple hundred pp?), but would
at least prevent the issue of having to haul around hundreds of arrows.  Arrows
it creates could have 0 value, so you can't sell them.