[CF-Devel] problem with crossedit make and fire spells

Mark Wedel mwedel at scruz.net
Tue Dec 5 01:21:55 CST 2000

Karl Geppert wrote:

      crossedit: $(OBJS) ../common/libcross.a Cnv/libCnv.a

          $(RM) -f $@

          $(CC) -o $@ $(OBJS) ../common/libcross.a $(LIBS) Cnv/libCnv.a

      LibCnv.a requires the libXt symbols, so the actual compile line needs to

      have the $(LIBS) last

 I've fixed that up.

      The second problem is an annoyance within the game.  This problem has been

      apparent for the last three versions of crossfire.  Every other time my

      character is loaded, it cannot use fire spells.  Every second time it is

      loaded, it can.  (eg start the game, no fire spells, use a bed-to-reality

      and start again and fire spells are available).  The character is a

      legacy character from sometime in the 0.7 range (I've been playing this for a

      long time - good job on making a good game).

 You have a talisman of frost that will prevent you from using fire spells.

 There is an old bug which equips the first skill item of relevance it finds
when attempting to cast a spell.

 The pecularity you see is because the each time a character is saved, the
inventory is reversed.

 I've made a change that should fix this - I need to test it a little bit more
before I commit it.

 Basically, it will look for a native skill first when attempting to use a
skill, and then should fall back to a skill item.

 This may not be ideal - if you have lockpicks, they may give you a straight
advantage and no penalty, so you would always want to use them.  But if the
server is going to choose a skill for you, I would think it should choose a
native skill first.