[CF-Devel] RE: few things (Weapons stuff and PR)

Michael Toennies mtx93 at tzi.de
Tue Dec 5 13:49:02 CST 2000

      Peter Mardahl wrote:

      > > As I have said to Peterm on many occasions, I would really

      love to see an

      > > archery caste and haved made alot of changes to archery to

      make the caste

      > > "worth while" as archery was so poor at the time Peter felt

      there little

      > > point in such a caste. I am quite happy to draw up graphics

      for an archer,

      > > and having unlimited quivers would be one of the best things

      archery could

      > > have currently. On the same theme, I believe we should split

      missile weapons

      > > into, throwing and archery. Firing a bow is VERY different to

      throwing a

      > > dagger let me assure you.

      > Here we've got this realism problem again.  Yeah, it's more realistic.

      > Yeah, it's more stuff for the player (and us coders) to manage.

      > Maybe it's worth doing, but I don't think so.  And if they both go

      > into the physical experience category, I can find NO reason to

      split them.

      > Who throws stuff anyway?

       You could part archery into the ability based category.  Not

      sure if that would

      be good or not.

Hm, this will effect game play, but not the handling/damage problem we have.

       There are certainly lots of way to make archery more potent.  An

      archer class

      could do more damage as they gain levels (1 dam/level when using a bow or

      something, up to a maximum point), the ability to make good

      arrows as needed, or

      so on.

Thats the way i think about: Not make mashine gun shots. Its hard to hit a
monster correct with a bow from distance (if it is a dangerous monster).

In my opinion, a bow fighter should have the same damage list like a guy
with
a holy servant or a avatar (with god spells) or fireball or someting (as
mage).

Talking about game play means, giving hin the same potential. Means, killing
skull with the same effort as a mage/priest with same equipment/level.

This will only work, if you kill then greater monster with 2-3 shots. You
will then
make a lot of more damage like with hand, but you must do more for it. The
'real'
balance is to count the dead monster of level x in time y with used
equipment z.

If you think so, you must do a lot of damage with bow, because hand to hand
with run mode
is faster and spells has more area effects.

If you can make the 'kill ratio' equal to fighter/spell, you has bring the
bow back in game.

       The problem is how to do that and still keep some things

      balanced (ie, if you

      add a lot more good arrows, other classes could get them also).

       Probably the best way to make archery better would be to have

      arrows with spell

      effects - ie, you fire an arrow of fireball, and any kills go to

      your archery

      skill category.  But once again, if those arrows are readily available, it

      doesn't help the archery class. It also sort of reduces the

      necessity of the

      mage and other classes.

Well, be a bow man is a kind of game playing. It will never make spell
caster unnecessary.
As priest you has all the healing/cure stuff, as mage you has much more
other spells, like
fireball or snowstorm. No, it will give an alternative, it will not bring
other races/chars down.

      crossfire-devel at lists.real-time.com