[CF-Devel] WHAT?!?!

David Hurst dhurst at it.swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 6 19:47:10 CST 2000

Okay, what are you guys talking about?

Shields obselete?? Shields are already obselete.. the only reason anyone
wields them is because that is the only choice. You think this is GOOD? I am
shocked. Here we are adding PR and on the verge of changing all the gods..
and you say "major game change". I realised long ago that this would
obselete shields, but the solution is so simple, make shields useful. Lets
face reality.. a shield gives as much AC as a pair of shoes. What the hell
is that? If we bump the average AC of a shield up around 4 (remember a
shield is used for blocking unlike body armour, thus it should have a very
high AC but low armour). Just because something is currently not up to the
standard is NO reason WHAT SO EVER, to stop progress. Not only is it more
realistic.. but it will be ALOT more fun to sacrafice AC for damage, we add
more PR to shields, alittle more AC and suddenly the option of two weapons
isn't so exciting. Also I believe you are forgetting one of my KEY points.
Str/Dex defining how heavy a pair of weapons you can wield. If you are a
wizard with a Str of 8 you will barely be able to wield to swords
effectively thus I will create another requirement of str. I plan to make it
impossible excepting Str of 30 to wield to Bonecrushers, but 30 is a special
case. at 20 a player will not be able to wield a total weight above
(roughly) 50. To protect against multiple Dragonslayers we just bump the
weight of the sword up.

Now I stress, this is one freaken long term project. I am still tracing how
crossfire handles attacks (I am no great programmer here =) (if you hadn't
already realised). I have devoted most of my thoughts to this and an almost
complete rework of the attack code is in order. With some help I think I can
do it.. but you have to give me time. I REALLY am starting to get sick of
comments like, it will make it too powerful blah blah blah. That is what
TESTING is for, items change, we change everything, why does that suddenly
have to change when I make a common sense suggestion about something which
crossfire has been lacking for ALONG time? Stop worrying about simple holes
about overpoweredness, and start thinking about how you could help me create
the best code for the job =). There is a list of obselete items as long as
this email, as we go through we can allow them to catch up.

I mean offense in this email, but I find it very bizarre that such comments
as Andreas and Peters are being made at a time like this. Sorry, take it up
with me on IRC.

dnh