[CF-Devel] Re: Sorry

Peter Mardahl peterm at tesla.EECS.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Dec 9 03:15:19 CST 2000

      > But we should think of some issues before doing reductions:

      > are we seriously screwing fighter chars by doing these reductions?

      > Remember, these characters are going up against high-level demons,

      > undead, and things like Jessies.

       However, mages can also use cloaks, gloves,  and boots without any real

      problem, so it really helps both classes.

True, but the AC only helps them when they're acting like fighters,
in a fighter capacity.

       If you want to help fighters and not mages, I think you really need to beef

      shields and armors - things that cause significant spell point regen penaltie

      and spell fumbling chances.

Well, I honestly would like to see enchant-armour not add ac to
boot, glove, cloak.  I think that would do nicely.

I've been doing some playing in a fighter recently, though, and I
don't think it's too much of a problem as it is now.  I.e.,
we should think about it, but it's not the top of our list of
worries.

      > I understand your point on levels,

      >  and I don't really have strong arguments against the cap.  However,

      > I don't have a problem with a non-existence of maps for players > level 100

      > Just because we allow the possibility doesn't mean we have to realize it.

      > I can't think of anything I would do with a level 200 character, nor

      > do I have any ideas on maps for such a char.

       But you will get some user base saying 'hey - I'm level 150 and there is

      nothing to do in the game?  Whats up?'.  And if there is no point to those

      higher levels, why allow it?

       If you want to make things interesting, cap the level and instead have some

      very tough dungeons - tough enough that the player needs the right items and

      them properly.  With removal of immunity potions, this is a much more real

      possiblity.

       I've also made this point before - if there is no limit on levels, people wi

      start making level 150 or 500 or whatever level maps.  I would much rather ma

      creation be concentrated in a more narrow range.

All of these points make sense:  like I said, I have no strong
arguments against your points.  I'm just stating my opinion with no
expectation of changing your mind or persuading anyone or forcing a change
in the current policy.  My personal reaction would be to not bother
making maps for super-high-level people, and not bother playing a
super-high-level char, but rather start new chars.  "Hmm, time to
try a troll-fighter.  OK, now an elf-wizard.  Hmm, a gnome-priest?
How about a human-wizard following Gnarg?"

       But my point is more, than using flags allow for greater flexibility.  Sure,

      you don't want the character to be wielding two artifact weapons, but do we

      really want to prevent a dragonslayer and say a dagger +1?  In terms of balan

A dagger +1 obviously isn't offensive.  However, a taifu +1 very probably
is.  I think setting level for taifu's, all archetype artifacts, all
random artifacts, and certain map artifacts, and allowing only one
"levelled" weapon is a sensible rule.

However, I still am concerned about it a bit:  what about a level
8 char:  why would he use a shield instead of a second +4 long sword?
He'd lose 3 ac, (shield +2), a loss of about 30%,
but double his combat strength.  It's
not as bad if the second weapon is +0 and totally mundane.

Even a dragonshield adds only 3ac, and a bit of armour:  arguably
well worth trading away for 2x damage if you don't need the fire
protection.

      > IMHO monster's level should be removed from the formula for calculating

      > experience gains.  Right now it's difficult to see how much experience

      > a monster actually gives.  A few high level monsters make it very easy

      > for players to get to high levels, even though they have the same "exp"

      > value as other low level monsters that are not so much easier to kill.

      > This would make the level limit difficult to reach.

       I thought the simple exp system does this, but I then notice that

      calc_skill_exp does not use this, and it appears that is used when killing

      another creature.

Actually, i like the level-difference-matters system on awarding
experience.  We could conceivably remove the "cap" on player level and
experience and let the level-exp-diff system put a natural cap on it
for us.

I think the real problem here is that experience awards for various
monsters is just off, as are their levels.

       That is easy enough to change - should that also be changed for more than ju

      combat?  I sort of think perhaps it should - I know a low level character luc

      enough to disarm a difficult trap can gets tons of experience.

I think a difficult trap disarm is a feature rather than a bug.
My characters typically lag agility levels far behind all the rest.
(Until they get stealing).
Let's not make it harder to advance in agility.

PeterM